For more than 100 years, education has been the cornerstone of Conway and Faulkner County’s economy. Toad Suck Daze contributes to that legacy each year by funding education initiatives in Faulkner County. As the festival grows, so do the goals for the Toad Suck Daze Community Service Scholarship Program and other education initiatives. Funds for these education initiatives come from festival proceeds and the sale of ‘official’ Toad Suck Daze merchandise. To date $1.6 million has been donated to education in the form of direct scholarships to approximately 302 Faulkner County students; contributions to a scholarship endowment at Central Baptist College, Hendrix College, the University of Central Arkansas, and the Arkansas Faulkner County Community Foundation; or as a donation to Arkansas Preschool Plus.
In 2017, Toad Suck Daze Committee will contribute $70,600 to area nonprofits to be used for education related projects. The organizations include:
- Arkansas Preschool Plus – $35,000
- Arkansas Shakespeare Theatre – $4,000
- University of Arkansas Community College at Morrilton – $3,500
- Blackbird Academy of Arts – $1,500
- Conway Symphony Orchestra – $1,500
- Red Curtain Theatre – $1,500
- Direct Scholarships – $23,600
2017 Toad Suck Daze Community Service Scholarship Recipients are:
The Toad Suck Daze Community Service Scholarship was established to foster an opportunity for civic responsibility, education, outreach and community growth among Faulkner County youth.
- Applicant must be a graduate of a Faulkner County high school, homeschooled and living within a Faulkner County school district, or currently enrolled at CBC, Hendrix, UCA, Pulaski Tech, or UACCM having had graduated from a Faulkner County high school.
- Applicant must attend CBC, Hendrix, UCA, Pulaski Tech, or UACCM during the upcoming Fall Term.
- Applicant must have a GPA of 2.5 or higher, based on a 4.0 scale.
- Applicant must show proof of completing at least 20 hours of volunteer service while in high school.
- Applicant must submit a one-page essay describing the volunteer service contributed to the community, how and why it benefited the community, and what was learned.
- Applicant must include three letters of recommendation: one from a supervisor where applicant provided volunteer service, one from a teacher or other education professional, and one of the applicant’s choosing.
- Applicant should demonstrate financial need.
- Scholarship recipients must complete 12 hours of volunteer service at the Toad Suck Daze festival this year.
The Toad Suck Daze scholarship application is an online application. It can be found on the Arkansas Community Foundation’s scholarship website (http://www.arcf.org/Students/BrowseScholarships.aspx) or by clicking here. The deadline to apply is March 15. Once on the scholarship website, select the central Arkansas area and scroll down until you find the Toad Suck Daze GetSmart Challenge Scholarship Endowment. Click on the red pencil beside the name to begin the application process. You will need to create an account to fill out the application. If you need assistance, read the Scholarship Applicant Tutorial. For additional questions or assistance, contact either Jane Jones at 501-372-1116 or Mary Margaret Satterfield at Mary@ConwayArkansas.org or 501-932-5412.